Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Letter from Room 506

Dear Al Salama hospital,

If I could pour everything out to in one seating, I could take up the whole day telling you what happened to me and my husband during my stay with you.

On one frantic Friday early morning, we rushed to your emergency room, in the hope of getting immediate relief for a stomach ache and senseless puking. As what we have hoped for, we were immediately facilitated by your friendly staff. Kudos for hiring plenty of Filipino personnel who are willing to work during day offs. But I have to say, there are a few bumps along the way of our journey with you. This I will itemize for you:

- Good: We were facilitated immediately and medicines were given to my husband. Although, some of the technician were not readily available, the nurses check on us and update on what needs to be done before proceeding with any procedure.

- Good: We were informed to visit the doctor the following day for the final diagnosis and what needs to be done. Turned out that my husband has gallstones so operation is required to remove the stones and we will just be informed of the schedule once the approval from the insurance is obtained.

- Good: Insurance confirmation was received and scheduled on Wednesday 9 am. We were informed to check in around 8 am for the 9 am operation.

- Bad: Upon admission, we were facilitated immediately and given a room. And the bumpy ride began. Around 9:30 no one has informed us regarding the operation schedule. Per the nurse, the procedure was moved to 12 noon as the operating room is still being used. When 12 noon crawled, the schedule was moved at 5:00 pm. The waiting was making me itch all over and worry more. By 5:30 pm, a nurse came in told us that the operation will start. I was a bit confused because no wheelchair was around to take my husband. We were informed that he will just have to walk going to the OR (operating room) wrapped in blanket. Oooowwwkaaaay. Not.

- Bad: The operation was a success and we were told he would be discharge on the 3rd day. At the start of the 3rd day, we were waiting for the nurses to inform us what time we can go home. By the way, during the stay, my husband’s gown was not change and the beddings. No toiletries were also given to the patient even if it was indicated in their manual. Anyway, the nurse changed the drainage bag attached to his tummy and gave us the go signal to go home. However no prescription was given because the doctor didn’t leave one. What the?! We were only told to call the doctor for the prescription.

- Bad: We kept calling the doctor and even called the hospital. Until around 6 pm, the doctor called us and informed us to pick up the prescription the following day. Since my husband can not just go out anytime, I did the picking up, only when I came there, I was given a queue number. Meaning I have to wait again and consult with the doctor because my husband’s prescription is not yet in the system. Now, the prescription collection which should only take 15 minutes actually took 2 hours.

- Bad: When my turn was up to remind the doctor of the prescription, the doctor told me to bring my husband the following day so he can take a look at the tube/ drainage bag and maybe remove it already. My husband was so relieved because this tube gives him discomfort when moving and sleeping. We came at the hospital for the night clinic, when we got there, we were informed that the doctor will not be coming in for the night. So we were kind of pissed off because we were so looking forward to have the tube removed. We called the doctor and was informed that he had too many operation for the day and was so tired so he will not be coming in for the night. So he rescheduled my husband for the following day 10 am.

- Bad: Right on the dot, at exactly 10 am the following day, my husband was at the clinic and was hoping to have the tube taken out already. Again, the doctor was not yet in because he attended a meeting. He came in around 11 am and was accommodated at around 12 noon already.

- Bad: This is not really important, but I would just like to have it posted that the bathroom was not well designed. Although it was clean, we cannot take a bath, because the drain is far from the shower area. Water would flood the area which is not good for the other patients using the bathroom since the bathroom is used for two patients in one room. Just so they would know.

I apologize for ranting. I have been keeping mum about this.
Well, not entirely because everybody from my office knew about it and even my family know about it. Howell, will not go back to that hospital for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment