Monday, July 2, 2012

A Step Towards Utopia

A few weeks ago, I went to my OBgyne for my usual visit and while waiting for my turn, I tried to look for something on the side tables to busy myself.  I found one pamphlet which I think is only possible in the movies.  Have you watched the movie The Island?  It was lead by cutie pie Ewan Macgregor and sultry Scarlet Johansson where they served as clones whose organs will be harvested if in case their sponsor requires it.  Well, this pamphlet offers more or less the same.  This is Cryo-Save.



Cryo-Save is a stem cell bank that collects your baby's umbilical cord that can be used for the lifesaving of your family.  Below is the excerpt of the pamphlet.

Cord blood banking is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you to collect and save the stem cells from your baby's umbilical cord blood for porential medical uses.  Having this invaluable resource can be lifesaving or life-changing for your baby and other family members.


*  Cord blood us a rich source of hematopoietic stem cells, which are being used in transplant medicine to treat nearly 80 life-threatening diseases, including a wide range of cancers, genetic diseases, immune system deficineces, and blood disorders.


*  Cord blood is being researched today for use in regenerative medicine where stem cells may help induce healing or regenerate cells to repair tissues.  This exciting new area of medicine has led to clinical trials and research using cord blood in experimental therapies to treat cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury and juvenile diabetes.


Additionally, having your baby's own genetically unique stem cells offers many advantages if stem cells are ever needed for treatment by you, your child, siblings or other family members:

     *  Your baby's cord blood is immediately available for your family if needed for treatment, and early treatment can minimize disease progression.

     *  If ever required for a transplant, using your own family's cord blood instead of an unrelated donor's can have a significant advantages, including fewer complications and improved medical outcomes.

     *  For experimental regenerative medicine therapies that use cord blood, the child's own stem cells are required.

How about that?  Science has really come a long way.  There certainly more ways to increase our number of years here on earth.  This life banking will cost AED 13,000.00.  Does this blog sounds like I'm advertising this bank?  It's not, actually.  I just wanted to share this new science discovery.

If you want to know more about this whole science thing you can visit their website www. cryo-save.com.

32 comments:

  1. It's expensive but I think I would invest on it if I have the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? the idea still creeps me off. like the whole thing came out of a science fiction movie.

      Delete
  2. it is a bit pricey, but will be a worthwhile investment. if i had the means when i was just pregnant, i would've signed up for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will if I had the money and once I read or get a lot of research about it first. I've heard about this technology before but I thought they were still in the research beginning stages. They haven't actually cured anything yet?!

    Hmmn it is slightly creepy but being in the medical field myself, we are expected to think up of ways to expand our fields and sometimes find unconventional ways to treat future patients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually they have success stories already. i jsut didn't post it.

      Delete
    2. Hmn..ok I did a short dig on this topic (thank you google!)
      this cord blood treat some serious stuff! Hmnn still doesn't change the priciness of it ^=^;

      I'll probably just go for insurance. Even that is a new concept here in my country. :/

      Delete
  4. interesting, i forgot the name of the same kind of institution that offers service like that, it's really good but a little bit pricey i guess but if you have extra money that would be a best gift you can give to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have been seeing/reading about this on parenting magazines..so pricey pala..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have love to have done this but it was way to expensive. Maybe by the time that my children's children have children, it will be more financially feasible for the every day person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read about this while I was pregnant with Sophia. It's nice how innovative science is. But too pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's breakthrough science and sure do come with a price

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes this is very interesting. in fact my mom told us (my sisters and i) that we should do it in the future when we give birth. well hopefully we can afford it by then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! though It's kind of expensive hmm I'll tell my sister-in-law about this! Thanks for the share:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing!
    but it's too expensive! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. is this the cure to the disease called death? walalangpixels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard about cord blood banking and it is quite a cutting edge medical science. If I have money, I would invest on that. I hope someday it will become cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Read about it before. Very interesting and very expensive. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  15. stem cell method is a very promising medical breakthrough, but this is still very much expensive for an ordinary people,

    ReplyDelete
  16. a very informative one. science truly brought us to this height successfuly. this is just one of the so many breakthroughs that helped and continues to help human kind. two things i look forward and expect from science though are the total cure for AIDS and Cancers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very useful share. I think every lady should know about this, and why only ladies...the hubbies too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still have this apprehension on it. Maybe I need more info or a seminar about it to fully understand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stem cell research is still evolving. I'm not so sure about it???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Science is not evil only those who uses the advantage of science for self benefit and bad intentions makes it look evil. These could really help us a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heard about cord blood banking, and I think that if one can afford it, they should take advantage of this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  22. whoa! interesting... im in the healthcare industry but this is not being talked about yet in my province... i hope some doctor would raise this up.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sure is something new to me! Thank you so much for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am just curious if stem cell does not have rejections on our body? if yes, this will be really a good thing brought by science.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We were offered this technology when I gave birth. The price is too steep for our budget that time though.

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is a great investment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. There are new innovations in medical technology but only few can afford.
    -daddy allan (visit from BC Blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I guess it'll be a good investment though its quite expensive

    ReplyDelete
  29. How expensive. But I think it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete