Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wasabi Night

Among the smalls joys of life is sampling the food paradise of the city you are currently living.  For this week, target cuisine is Japanese.  Hubby likes sushi and never missed to buy a set when we visit Carrefour, so why not visit this Japanese restuarant that also offers  the real deal and more.  So we we set our sights at Samurai Restaurant.









Samurai Restaurant, is I think the only Japanese restaurant listed here in Abu Dhabi.  It is near Toursit Club Area and behind Capital Al Diar Hotel along Mina Road.  The area is not located at the usual busy streets of the city.  There was ample parking space and it was not difficult to locate.  We were the first customer to arrive.

the restaurant from the corner angle


Honestly, the reason why I chose this restaurant to try out because they have churros in their dessert menu.  I have been craving for churros for the past few days. Missed munching on them.  I think the best churros I had was in Singapore at Clarke Quay.  It was soft and crunchy at the same time.  I don't know how churros ended up in the menu of a Japanese restuarant, because it sounded Japanese? Hohum. Ok back to the Asian cuisine.

We ordered Chicken Yakisoba for me, Yakiniku Bento for hubby, Maguro Sushi, Tamago Sushi and of course don't forget Gyoza.

the appetizer
Gyoza!

Yakiniku (Beef and Fish with salad and rice)

Chicken Yakisoba

Tamago Sushi

Maguro sushi


The verdict:  the yakisoba was disappointing, it tasted and looked like the Filipino Pancit Canton.  The noodles was not even passable.  It was bit salty.  The  lunch box that hubby ordered was good.  The fish and  the beef was very tasty.  It was my first time to try sushi minus the seafood, that's why I ordered for the Tamago, I must say, the rice, the seaweed wrap and sweetened omellete was a welcome surprise to my choosy palate.  Since I am not a fan of anything raw, I didn't try the tuna sushi.  The gyoza was cooked perfectly, crispy edges and soft shells.  I still prefer the gyoza of Rai Rai Ken in Davao though.  I don't know why.

Total wallet damage was AED 174.00 and left some tip since no service charge on the receipt.  WE were not able to order the churos since we were already pretty much filled up.  Maybe next time.



Samurai Restaurant
Online Menu

49 comments:

  1. I must try it then, at first I found it weird too--sweetened omelette, pero ok naman pala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bf and I love wasabi. He's into Japanese food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. '...yummy, sweetened omelette?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love Jap foods, makes me want to eat one now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss gyoza! I can't believe luya can taste so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have already heard and made sweetened omelette! I love Japanese food! In fact, sushi here at home is just like an ordinary snack as I make every now and then (even as a midnight snack!) All look so yummy! I haven't had any Japanese food for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, sushi love. Pero disappointing ang yakisoba ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it was disappointing. was expecting to be good pa namn. hohum.

      Delete
  8. Looks yummy. :) But, I bet it is spicy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm not really into japanese food but just by the look of it, it really looks super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so disappointed that this is in Abu Dhabi. I was hoping I'd try this restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not really into Japanese food. I've only tried a few dishes and the thought of eating any kind of uncooked fish doesn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the second blog I've read today talking about Japanese food! I think I'm getting sushi for dinner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm craving now for gyoza...looks really delectable

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love sushi but never tried the "uncooked fish".. the yakisoba really looks like pancit canton lang, hmmm but it still looks yummy! now my tummy's growling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The food from Samurai looks good, too bad though the yakisoba left you disappointed. Anyway, Japanese cuisine is my favorite although I'm not a big fan of yakisoba.. XD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oohhh Japanese foods. this reminds me of Tokyo Tokyo, a Japanese restaurant where I always go, during my stay in Manila.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I only love california maki for a japanese food. Even if you got disappointed with your yakisoba but at least you had a great food adventure with the rest of the food you got, right? :-)

    Please visit my site at http://stagemomandmore.blogspot.com/. while you're at it, you could follow me back too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. another great japanese restaurant to try with. I love the pics there. Looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are there any good treats for the kids here? Not really sure if my son will like some of there offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Japanese food! I don't really tire eating this all the time. I hope you enjoyed :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. That Yakisoba does look good! Love Japanese food especially the rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  22. haven't tried any Japanese food but the food looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yakisoba really looks like pancit canton here ... Well, craving for sushi its been years and years since the last time I ate it. Sorry, late visit from BC bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Craving for sushi, too! It's been awhile since I ate Japanese food. Great, honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Too bad you didn't try the sushi, but you're not the only one who stay away from raw food. As for me, Salmon sashimi is my favorite! We once spent more than 2k pesos for a Japanese dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm into Jap food so I better try them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. churros in a japanese resto? interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like a great dinner in the end! I'm not familiar with Japanese food though, we take Chinese mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been craving for Japanese food lately, I think I got to feed my cravings now. This restaurant looks great! Nice share :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. hmmm... I should visit a Japanese restaurant soon..:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Japanese food although I can do without the Yakisoba you ordered. Instant yakisoba nalang siguro.;) But I think I love it more because of the sushi. I can eat it all day and never get tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. love japanese food too! :) craving now..hihi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. I so love Japanese food. Even learned how to make my own sushi, haha! For the raw fish, salmon is my fave though a bit expensive, hihihi!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hubby and I love Japanese cuisine as well though I'm not too keen about sushi. It's almost always tempura, teppanyaki, or teriyaki for me. Occasionally, I would go for maki. :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. Tamago and maguro sushi...craving for these now...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am not into japanese foods especially those with fresh fish or seafood. But I am open to try such food. hehehe
    -daddy Allan (BC Blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I checked their online menu and it seems that the prices are reasonable. We're here in Sharjah. I found a lot of Japanese restaurants in Dubai. But Chow King is still loved, hehehe!

    Visiting from BC Bloggers Comment Exchange August 8.

    ReplyDelete
  38. haha you're right!~ I've always wondered why tamago sushi taste sweet. XD

    Although I like Japanese food, the only fish-sushi I like to eat is Maguro sushi cause it doesn't taste like I'm eating uncooked fish :/ Salmon sushi is ...bwerk!~

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love those Japanese foods. Great food selection. Hope to visit Samurai resto soon.

    Commenting from BC Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  40. But I love pinoy pancit canton! Will keep Rai Rai Ken of Davao in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The Yakisoba really looks like a Pancit Canton.:) I'm not really fond of eating Japanese foods but maybe I will try someday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Honestly, I am more of Pinoy and Italian foods like pasta. But if there's a chance to visit one, I'll try Japanese foods too.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yakiniku (Beef and Fish with salad and rice) -- will order this next time.,, looks delish

    ReplyDelete