Monday, November 4, 2013

Eid Al Adha 2013 of the Homebody

It has been a week that has passed since the busy Eid Al Adha holidays.  While most of the working class are nursing holiday hangovers, I am still busy finishing my to-do lists.  For a homebody like me, the holidays do not really mean a thing anymore, but an excuse for me to go out of the house and do something crazy-ish.

A few weeks before the big holiday some friends were asking me what are our plans for the three-day holiday.  Its one of the anticipated holidays of the year here in Abu Dhabi so why not do something extravagant.  I am such a killjoy because I opted not to go out and do excursions, instead we did our Christmas shopping in advance.  Yep, you read that right, Christmas shopping in October, I even started wrapping up some of the gift I have already bought. For those who are not an expat, December is the busiest time for all couriers all over the world, I think.  At least it is here in UAE.  Last year, a colleague informed me that if I want my balikbayan box to arrive just in time for Christmas I have to send the box by September.  Yikes!

Back to the holidays, we went to Dubai Outlet Mall to shop.  We were not prepared to see the outlet mall full of Filipinos who were also shopping.  Like shopping crazy.  We spent the entire day shopping and believing me it was not enough.  We have to do some pit stops at Emirates Mall to pick up my baking ingredients.  The second day activity was the same.  While most of my friends were relaxing at the park enjoying the cooler weather, my husband and I had to do more buying.

On the last day, we took a break and decided to have brunch at the beach.  The last time I went to the beach here in Abu Dhabi was 3 years ago.  July 2013.  So in the morning, I made breakfast burritos, corn dogs, store-bought fried chicken and fried rice and went to the beach.  We took gate number 2 as this is the part of the corniche where there are bungalows.  Unfortunately when we got there, all are occupied. We settled on a nearby grass and opened our blanket to start our little picnic. 



But after some time, a cottage was available and we moved our stuff under the shade.  Advice for those who are considering going to the beach in this area, if you have food, its better if you bring your table and chairs.  Although blankets and mats are okay there are ants.  Just to avoid biting into them, its better to bring something to put your food at.



By lunch time the beach was not so saturated anymore.  It was a nice day to relax and enjoy the breeze and people watch.  We stayed there for.at least two hours. Yes, i know not much time to totally get a decent sun tan, but the heat was just a bit too much already.

By the way, the entrance fee was AED 5.00 for kids and AED 10.00 for adults.  Grilling was not allowed in the area.  Gate number 2 is the entrance near the Tiara Express kiosk.  It is also the entrance in front of the intersection with the Chevrolet Showroom.



No comments:

Post a Comment