Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bread Anatomy

I grew up in a bakery. Every meal is not complete without bread on the table. What ever the time of the day, there are variety of bread to choose from. I am a bit spoiled when it comes to bread. And because I am so into breads I made it a point to learn on how to make it. But that was my life before I got married. Baking was my stress-reliever and my way of keeping the family "healthy." When I got here, my search for the perfect bread (a.k.a the kind that I am accustomed to) had began.

My search for that perfect bread took some time to commence, since I was so overwhelmed with new flavors that I have encountered. Until one day, when I woke up for breakfast, I began to crave for loaf bread. In the Philippines, loaf bread or the white bread or the milk bread is known with so many nicknames. American bread, Tasty Bread, White Bread and Loot Bread (this is for those who doesn't really know the real name of the bread but just uttered the word that sounds the same with loaf bread).

So the first bread I bought was the milk bread. Most groceries have many bread to offer. I tried the milk bread. This kind of bread looks like the Filipino loaf bread but has the different texture. It is flaky and does not taste as creamy as what I have expected. Next is the White Bread. Still looks like the loaf bread but not that soft. The taste is okay but still not that taste that I am looking for. And finally, I found Golden Fork White Bread. (This is not free advertising, seriously). This is the kind of bread I am used to eating. Soft and chewy texture. It doesn't break up when you try to flatten it or roll it. Just perfect.


Then I went out for a ciabatta craving. A variety of ciabatta is hiding in the baskets of Spinney's grocery. I particularly like their sun dried tomato ciabatta. Try reheating it in the grill and dip it into a balsamic vinegar and EVVO mixture. Perfect combination for any soup and salad. A perfectly grilled ciabatta is when the outer crust is crispy and warm on the inside and easily absorbs the soup when dipped.

Speaking of crusty shells and chewy insides on the inside - this also spells the perfectly cook pandesal. Let me tell you about the pandesal. This is the staple break fast food of most Filipino in the Philippines. This can be dipped into coffee - commonly done by Lolo's and Lola's whose set of teeth has long retired. Pandesal also goes well with any sandwich spread. And it also goes well with any viand. After 11 months here in Abu Dhabi, I have finally found pandesal. Choitram supermarket sells them here in Khalidiya for 1 AED for 4 pieces. Pandesal came from a Spanish word pan meaning bread and de sal meaning of salt. Pandesal is a bread made basically with salt.

Good to know that some corners of the city offers food that reminds you of home. Comfort food for the homesick soul, I must say.

No comments:

Post a Comment